Tuesday Morning Tidy: Slow-Cooker Honey Garlic Chicken
We enjoyed Chef Savvy's Honey Garlic Chicken for the first time last week and it did not disappoint. It requires easy prep and makes plenty for leftovers.
- 2 lbs. of boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1/2 cup of low sodium soy sauce
- 1/2 cup of honey
- 1/4 cup of hoisin sauce
- 1 Tablespoon of rice wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon of sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon of ginger, grated
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1-2 teaspoons of sriracha (to spice preference)
- 2 scallions, sliced thin, separate white and green parts
- 2 Tablespoons water
- 1 Tablespoon cornstarch
- Sesame seeds (optional)
1. Place chicken on the bottom of the slow cooker.
2. In a medium bowl, whisk together soy sauce, honey, hoisin, vinegar, sesame oil, ginger, garlic, sriracha and the white parts of the scallions.
3. Pour the sauce mixture over the chicken and cook for 5-6 hours on low.
4. Remove the chicken from the liquid and let it sit for a few minutes. Next, shred the chicken and place in a large serving bowl.
5. Transfer the liquid from the slow cooker to a small saucepan. Whisk 2 tablespoons of water with 1 tablespoon of cornstarch. Slowly add the cornstarch mixture to the sauce.
6. Cook the liquid on the stovetop until bubbly and thickened. Then, pour the sauce over chicken, mix until meat is fully coated.
7. Garnish with sesame seeds and green scallions (optional)
8. Serve with white rice and steamed veggies.