Tuesday Morning Tidy: Rice Crispy Treats Reimagined
My mom made the most amazing rice crispy treats when I was young -- a peanut butter and marshmallow rice crispy treat with chocolate frosting. They were the best study snack and one that we make for our children now.
My mom's recipe was of her own creation, but I found one online that follows it pretty closely at Just So Tasty. My mom didn't use many precise measurements (which was part of the her magic), but it's hard to share a recipe without some type of guide. So, below is my attempt to share this delicious recipe for recreation!
Peanut Butter Rice Crispy Treats
- ¼ cup unsalted butter
- 5 cups of mini marshmallows (one 10-oz. bag)
- ½ cup of regular peanut butter
- 6 cups of rice crispy cereal (if you want the texture more marshmallowy, use a little less cereal)
- one bag of milk or dark chocolate chips
1. Place the butter and marshmallows to a large microwavable bowl.
2. Heat in the microwave in 1-minute intervals, stirring between each interval until they're melted completely.
3. Mix in the peanut butter.
4. Add the rice crispy cereal and mix well.
5. Press the mixture firmly into a 9X13 casserole dish.
6. Place the bag of chocolate chips in a microwaveable bowl and heat for 45 seconds. Stir and then put back in microwave for an additional 15 seconds or until they're melted completely.
7. Pour the chocolate over the treats and let it cool and harden completely before serving - approximately one hour.
To have And She Writes' recipes arrive in your inbox, subscribe to our blog!